Laughter and Play Essential For Wellness
Many people might think that laughter and play are reserved for children and rarely engage in these activities when in fact, laughter and play are very important to your health and wellness.
Laughter and play should be something people do—young or old—in order to have better health and a better quality of life.
This is especially important in the high-stress and hectic world we live in, where we really need to let go of work, personal burdens, the chores, the responsibilities, and even all the technology that has taken over our minds and our attention to simply laugh and play.
It’s essential for wellness.
Ways To Laugh
Laughter is good medicine. That much is clear, but what are some good ways to find laughter in your life? Here are some tips to help you laugh more:
1. Read the comic section of the newspaper. It sounds corny but it can put a smile on your lips and can cause you to laugh aloud.
2. Watch Comedy Central. This is a TV channel that is a great source of laughing material, from funny sitcoms to comedy skits.
3. Turn on a funny TV program. Whether it’s a funny sitcom or a funny movie, you can actually get a few laughs from a funny show on the television.
4. Get a joke calendar. These come in desk versions so there is a joke for every day of the year.
5. Make silly faces in front of the mirror. Set aside your embarrassment and really laugh at yourself in the mirror as you make funny faces in order to tickle your funny bone.
6. Go to a comedy club. Whether it is an amateur or a professional comedian, they can create situations where it is impossible not to laugh aloud.
7. Check the web. There are funny websites and funny photos online that will help you laugh every day.
8. Have friends who are funny. Surrounding yourself with funny people will increase the overall “funniness” of the environment and you’ll laugh more.
9. Spend time with friends. Good times in a social circle inevitably result in laughter.
10. Fake laugh. It sounds silly but, even if you are faking laughter, it has a positive effect on your body and mind. Eventually, it will be infectious, and you’ll find you are really laughing aloud.
11. Read a funny book. There are plenty of funny books out there. Stay up in bed and get your laugh on by reading a book you find to be funny.
12. Find some funny quotes. There are sites that share funny quotes from movies and television as well as quote books and calendars that can be humorous.
Ways To Play
Here are some things you might want to do in order to have more opportunities for play:
1. Think back to what you enjoyed playing as a kid and do that again
2. Join a health club and take a Zumba class or other fun class that allows you to feel playful
3. Play with your kids as they have a perspective on play that adults have long forgotten
4. Go to a magic store and learn some tricks to share with loved ones
5. Tell a joke to a stranger who may become a friend if you play your cards right
6. Surround yourself with others who are playful as this will support your intentions to play
7. Play with your pet, especially a kitten or puppy
8. Roughhouse or play wrestle with your partner
9. Go to a park or beach so you can fly kits or throw a ball around
10. Get out the Legos and build something
11. Arrange time at night to play with your fellow coworkers
12. Go to live shows
13. Have a game night in which you are the host for loved ones or friends to participate in fun activities
14. Take up a sport, particularly a team sport that allows you to play with others
Laughter and play are both extremely important for your health and mental wellbeing, and in general, can improve your overall wellness and quality of life.
Allow yourself to laugh and play often.
It will serve you well throughout your lifetime and especially into old age.
Life doesn’t have to be all serious and a bit of fun will do you a world of good.
Share how you laugh and play for your best wellness life.
Be sure to get in touch with us if we can help you.
Subscribe to our newsletter here
We have outsourced our lifestyle for way too long!