Do Not Sabotage Your Fitness Lifestyle
How is your fitness going this month? Are you getting out for a walk, lifting weights, practicing yoga? Well, as we continue to share ideas on fitness this month today our topic is Sabotage Your Fitness Lifestyle No More With These Simple 10 Tips.
I have been working out, playing sports for most of my life. Yet in my twenties when I began the journey to get fit and reduce my weight, I had no idea how to do that in a gym. In fact, I was petrified to walk into a gym to get a membership. It took me months to do that.
At that time, I needed and wanted some exercise tips so I would succeed. This made the process easy for me. Learning those exercise tips allowed me to find a way to exercise that has made a difference for me and my health for the past 30 years.
Did you know that "Leading an inactive life increases your risk of heart disease as much as if you smoked a pack of cigarettes a day, according to Dr. Rippe."
Here are some helpful ideas for you so you stop the sabotage of your fitness
• Begin with your WHY! What is your WHY to go to the gym 3-5 days a week? Why do you want to develop the habit of exercise? We wrote about finding your WHY in this blog post - wendybottrell.weebly.com/blog/what-motivates-motivates
My WHY was I wanted to reduce my weight and get in shape. I have heard it said knowing your WHY is 95% of the way to success. The how following your WHY will be where you accomplish your goal and that is simply the last 5%.
Will you be someone who starts moving toward your goal and is open to handing everything in the GAP between you starting and realizing your goal. The GAP will be all the challenges, issues and feelings that will come up to put you off your path if you allow them to. If you make your WHY clear enough, big enough and handle everything in the GAP you will become unstoppable.
• Workout with a friend. As I said I joined the gym with a friend and we met at the same time, on the same days to do the same exercises for the first 8 weeks. We were consistent. We had each other for support and encouragement. This helped up both with the challenges of the GAP. Find a friend to do the same for you and with you.
• The goals we set when we started working out together was to show up at the gym 4-5 days per week. It was really that simple.
• We were put on a program where we spent some time either running or on a stationary bike - 20 minutes, then we did a complete bodyweight training program for about another 45 minutes. Find an exercise program that you will follow. If you plan on exercising at home, we recommend The Home Workout Revolution – a follow along at home video workout program that is perfect for the beginner. As you progress with your training you will find more advanced training programs with the Home Workout Revolution System – this program is in our fitness toolbox. You can check it out here: http://go.earlytorise.net/SH1X (affiliate link)
• Now you don't have to go to a gym to have success with exercise. Learning a few basic exercises will take you a very long way to improving your health and fitness. Decide where will you do your exercise program? Home, gym? If you decide to exercise at home, we recommend the Home Workout Revolution System - http://go.earlytorise.net/SH1X
• Find a way to enjoy what you are going to commit to your exercise program. It is vital that you find a way to develop a positive strength and fitness habit in your life. Whether you do bodyweight exercises, weight training, walk hills, enjoy the activity. Your mindset toward how you feel matters.
• I find that my exercise timing is best in the afternoon. It is the time I enjoy the most, I get the most accomplished. Experiment with the timing of your training. Are you a morning person? Maybe you want to take time out of your stressful day and exercise during your lunchtime. Or maybe like me the best time for you is after your day at work where you can take the time to decompress from the day and train at the gym or home.
• Be sure you take the time to learn the proper way to exercise. This will take you a long way in getting the results you want without injury. Be sure to ask for help either by hiring a personal trainer to guide you or by asking the staff at the gym if you have questions to help you. Either way, learn the proper technique for your training program.
• An exercise program is not a quick fix for what ails you. It is a lifestyle. Exercise and fitness are a lifetime wellness practice for you to live your best life. I teach my clients that they are not working out for today, they are working out today so they will be able to work out well into the future. Stay independent and have a quality of life.
• Make Exercise Fun - no matter what you choose to do to get fit have fun with it!
Today I have shared exercise tips that will help you move forward to have success in exercise and not sabotage yourself. For me exercise has been a very empowering activity. These very tips I have shared were given to me over the last almost 40 years. They have helped me stay on track even on those days when my workouts were the last thing I wanted to do. My WHY has helped me move through the GAP between starting and realizing my goals each and every time.
What has exercise done for me? I feel exercise changed my life. No matter what has happened in my life, illness, stress, exercise has been a constant. No matter if I go for a walk or lift weight exercise has been a time where I connected mind to body. I am strong, fit, mobile and flexible. I’ve had a lot of fun with my training or some of the adventures taken because I am physically and mentally able to. I’ve made a career in this field.
These tips have helped me with it the habit of exercise.
Do you exercise consistently? What is holding you back from starting a program?
Get a friend, be consistent, find a program that you will follow, decide if you want to go to the gym or train at home, bodyweight or weights, learn proper form, know your why, know it will be a lifestyle program for independence, strength, and quality of life.
Hope you found some value in these exercise tips? Share how you will begin or stick with your program below in the comments. If you have any questions or if we can help you get in touch with us.
We have outsourced our lifestyle for way too long!