Effective Self-Discipline Hacks
We are discussing Discipline this month and today we want to share some simple yet effective self-discipline hacks for your best life. We hear about hacking life all the time these days. In fact, just typing “life hack” into google shows about 433,000,000 results.
So, let me ask you a question as we start here today. Has your life felt a little too out of control? Maybe there are too many demands on your time and resources. People at work need something now, and your mother keeps calling asking when you’re going to come to visit next. Things are coming at you from all sides, and you desperately need a way out.
Believe it or not, the answer lies in something as simple as self-discipline. By taking charge of yourself, you likewise take charge of your life. Self-discipline means you’re making decisions that keep your feet on the path that you’ve chosen for yourself. And while the demands on your time might still be there, you can feel more in control. At least this is how I have experienced self-discipline in my life over this past year.
Need some help getting started? Below you will find a list of some quick hacks that will set you on the road to freedom through self-discipline.
1. Pick a start date. Research has found that by setting a concrete date and putting it on your calendar, you have a higher chance of success. So chose the date and write “Freedom” in that space on your calendar.
2. Understand WHY you’re doing this. Create a list of reasons WHY you want to become more disciplined. Use that list to create affirmations and then use those often to keep yourself motivated. We have written about creating your WHY and you can find that post here - https://wendybottrell.weebly.com/blog/what-motivates-motivates - be sure to get in touch with us and let us know how we can help you.
3. Use creative visualization. Imagine yourself with self-discipline. How does that life look? How does it feel? By seeing your self-disciplined life in your mind’s eye, your brain believes it is possible.
4. Deal with temptation. If what you’re trying to use self-discipline to correct (like eating better) involves tangible objects, then remove those items. For example, get rid of the junk food in your cabinets, because the junk food will become a temptation. If it’s an intangible for example, a person you can’t say no to, then write a script of how you’d like that particular conversation to go. That way you already have the words to say no when you need them. The important idea is to practice dealing with the temptation. Just saying NO to either a tangible or intangible.
5. Grab a snack. Eating a real food organic diet can be a super important way to avoid making poor choices around snacking. Be prepared, have better snacks easily available. Make sure to be hydrated. Sometimes we make poor snack choices because we are thirsty rather than being hungry. To get around this if you are looking to snack is to have a glass of water and wait twenty minutes. If you still feel hungry go ahead and have a healthy real food snack. Enjoy.
6. Find your self-discipline tribe. By surrounding yourself with self-disciplined people, you create for yourself a support group as you set forth on your journey. Sometimes all it takes is someone to mentor you through the rough spots.
Don’t kid yourself, becoming self-disciplined takes practice. But you can make it a lot easier for yourself if you set yourself up for success from the start. Remember who you’re doing this for (you!), and you’ve already won half the battle.
So, there you have it. A few simple yet effective self-discipline hacks for your best life. The challenge if you accept it is to pick one of the simple hacks and begin practicing today.
Be sure to let us know what self-discipline hack you will begin practicing the comments below.
Get in touch with us and let us know how we can help you.
We invite you to subscribe to our newsletter here
We have outsourced our lifestyle for way too long!