Ideas To Be More Patient
Do you ever feel that patience is a challenge in your life? I know for sure it is for me. It has me thinking about what this is all about and what I can learn from the practice of more patience in my life. Today I would like to share ideas on Why We Struggle with Patience and How To Be More Patient Today.
Here is one idea about a lack of patience. The alarm fails to go off, so you oversleep. Now you are late, and you have a flat tire to make things worse. You know that if one more thing happens, you might explode with some expletives that would make a sailor blush.
Especially in our modern world, it seems that every day, we fight to maintain a sense of calm as the world around us pushes our patience buttons. We may have heard that patience is a virtue, but why is it so hard to be patient? What factors play into our ability to let go of our frustrations and let things roll off our backs?
6 Reasons People Are Impatient
Our fast-paced society has us frustrated over small things. Even though we feel we must learn how to be patient, we all still struggle, and here’s why:
1. Our habits are disrupted. Habits offer comfort. They give us a sense of calm in a chaotic world. We become impatient when something comes along and disrupts our typically scheduled patterns.
2. Things are important, but time is running out. You have an important meeting. While you left with plenty of time to get there, delays occurred. You may have a flat tire, or there is an accident on the highway. As the clock hands move closer to the appointment time, your patience grows thinner and thinner.
3. Other people succeed, and we don’t. The comparison trap can cause much upheaval in your life. Seeing others succeed in pursuing their goals while you are stuck in a rut has caused jealousy and some impatience on your part.
4. We feel overwhelmed. Having too much to do leaves many of us feeling overwhelmed. So, we move from task to task, working fast and efficiently until someone comes along and tips the apple cart. Now things are stalled, and patience is lost.
5. We don’t see results as fast as we think we should. Let’s say you want to lose weight. You research methods and choose to eat healthier and exercise. You start out great and drop seven pounds your first month. Then you lose two; then none for several weeks. When progress stalls, it is easy to grow impatient. What is worse for so many is that impatience causes them to quit.
6. We are tired and hungry. Anytime you are tired, you are likely to lose your patience with others fast. Being hungry has the same effect.
Recognizing why we become impatient is the first step in pursuing a happier life filled with patience. Consider which of these reasons play the most significant factors for you, and then learn how to combat impatience.
How to be more patient
Over the past 25 years, I have been practicing improving. I have taken the time to learn about health and fitness. Taking action on the learning by eating better food, getting more active with regular exercise and movement, drinking water rather than excessive pop and coffee, eliminating toxic personal care products and household cleaning products, getting out in nature for a hike, to name a few.
Now, these health and fitness practices weren’t achieved all at once. And I think this is the biggest thing that people think about when making a change. It is about small daily actions over time that allow you to realize new and better habits as well as practices. Notice how this has been over 25 years. That is patience and here is how I came to realize how vital being patient is to the overall quality of my life. Maybe it will be the same realization for you.
Taking the first step is always the hardest part. It's not uncommon to see people never do what they have in mind just because they're too scared or overwhelmed to get started.
New experiences come with a dose of fear. You must embrace the unknown and take risks. Not everyone is willing to let go and take on these challenges. For many, if they do begin it is a short period of time they have quit because they don’t think they see the results.
Believe it or not, you can bring your ideas to life without changing everything at once. This idea was a good learning because it helps get a WIN and eliminate impatience.
It's that first step that can move you in the right direction. Small things, such as building a new habit, or a new practice can go a long way toward your success while eliminating feelings of impatience.
Why Taking the First Step Is the Hardest When Eliminating Impatience?
No matter what you're trying to achieve, taking the first step can be mind-wrecking. You might think:
• What if I fail?
• How will I make money?
• What will people think?
• What if I’m no good?
• What if it's not the right time to do it?
• Am I ready for this?
• How long will it take?
The truth is that no one can guarantee that you'll succeed. However, you’ll never know how it's going to turn out unless you try. Do you want to spend the rest of your life wondering What if? This was me 20 years ago. I was almost 100 lbs. overweight, low energy, and certainly not living my best life. Then, I was called to the hospital because my mother broke her hip and needed a full hip replacement.
My mother had to lie in the emergency for 2 days until they could do the operation. It was at that time that I realized if I didn't make changes I was going to be my mother in 20 years. The very next day I started to make changes. It was a big challenge for me. A mountain that was so high I wasn’t sure if I could climb it. What mountain are you facing right now with your health and fitness?
That first step is always the hardest because it requires you to embrace the unknown and face your fears. It's also the most important step - without it, nothing will change. And the change that we begin when we are changing our health and fitness is a journey. It is not going to happen in one day. There are many aspects and they take time to move through. This is important to realize and have kindness and patience for yourself in that journey.
I am now 25 years older and in better health and I am strong physically as well as mentally. And you can definitely achieve the same for yourself.
Feeling Scared? Take a Half Step to Change Your Life
Most times, it's the small things that have the biggest impact on our lives. You don't have to change everything from one day to the next. If you're scared of the unknown, do one little, minuscule thing to get started. I call it taking the WIN for yourself each day. Every success you acknowledge helps eliminate impatience.
It can be contacting real estate agents to find a flat in your dream city, putting on your sneakers and getting outside for a walk or eating one healthy real food meal rather than junk food. Choose one little practice and stick to it. Celebrate this first step and feel proud of it.
Then, take another step and then another, and so on. Stop waiting for the perfect moment to get started. Stop overanalyzing and just go for it! The best time to start was yesterday. The next best time is NOW. Now is especially a great time to begin a new health and fitness practice. Small changes done daily over the next few months will have a huge impact on how you feel.
What are small changes you can begin NOW? What WINS can you achieve today?
• Hydrate - Drink more water
• Eat Real Life Affirming Food – cooked by you in your own kitchen – if you are not in the habit of cooking at home, we recommend learning 3 new recipes and once you are happy with your skills with those 3 new recipes add 3 more new recipes to your cooking toolbox.
• Breathe – here is an article to help you with a powerful breathing technique called Box Breathing – check it out here
• Move your body more – walk – bike – do a home workout (Not sure how? We use and recommend The Home Workout Revolution System – https://bit.ly/3r74kRtbit.ly/3r74kRt
• Sleep – the often-forgotten Pillar of Wellness – poor sleep is the cause of many health issues - now is a great time to practice good sleep habits – go to bed at the same time every night, avoid bright lights before bed, sleep in a dark cool room – If you are out of practice in sleeping well we recommend Pure Sleep - https://bit.ly/3xcWf1p
• Journal – write about your WHY – this will help you focus on what is important to you for those challenging days and journaling will help you realize your successes as well – We wrote a blog post to help you with your WHY and you can read it here https://wendybottrell.weebly.com/blog/implement-the-5-whys-method-to-energize-your-best-life
• Meditate – We have been a fan of Kelly Howell for many years and have practiced her meditations on YouTube for a long time. Check her out on YouTube if you want to practice guided meditations.
We believe that patience will help you achieve anything in life. Realizing this and continuing on your desired journey, enjoying each moment, taking small steps and allowing yourself to get the WIN, while not quitting is the best feeling ever. Will you begin the practice of moving through impatience and using tiny steps as your process?
Leave a comment below and be sure to let us know how we can support you!
Join our FREE Walking Challenge here
Share your thoughts in the comments below
Get in touch with us if you have questions or if we can help you.
What we know for sure is that walking is the link to living a healthy and vibrant life. We believe walking inspires the mind, activates the body, and nourishes the soul.
Be sure to sign up here for the FREE Walking Challenge - This is appropriate for all fitness levels, though it is tailored to beginners. You will also get a tip a day, which gives you a little more insight into how to walk, what to wear, going outside or using the treadmill, and even journal entries about your experience. Be sure to sign up here for the FREE Walking Challenge -
Be sure to get in touch with us and let us know how we can help you.
If you want to know who we are and what we believe in check us out here http://wendybottrell.com
Our Holistic Coaching and health and fitness products are here
Be sure to get in touch with us and let us know how we can help you.
We have outsourced our lifestyle for way too long!